In between your activities, studying, sports, work, or chilling out with friends, you may feel that there is no time to eat some healthy food. However, if you have a hectic schedule, you need to eat healthy food that can provide you the energy to keep going. You can prepare the snacks in advance by making your own or visiting the nearest supermarket and stash them into your bag before you leave house.
Snacks can be categorised into healthy and unhealthy snacks. Unhealthy snacks are usually food that contains high carbohydrates or fats content. Healthy snacks usually are fruit type or contain vitamins and minerals.
To maintain a good energy level, avoid food with a lot of sugar like candies. Choose high fibre food like whole grain, fruits and vegetable.
Unhealthy Snacks: chips, biscuits, popcorn, sweets, chewing gum, jelly
Healthy Snacks Suggestions
- Dried fruits like raisins, cranberries with little or no added sugar.
- Fruit salad with a variety of colored fruits can look more appealing.
- Smoothies using fruits blended with milk, yougurt, or juice can make a tasty drink.
- Vegetables can be eaten with dips like low-fat salad dressing
- Breakfast cereal served dry or with low-fat milk. Do note that some cereals are high in sugar.
- Whole grain crackers can be eaten with toppings or dips
- Granola bars that are low in fat and sugars
- Yogurt that are low in fat and sugar and high in calcium. They can be eaten with fruits or granola.
- Nuts are high in calories hence eating the serving quantity should be moderate. Nuts include peanuts, walnuts, pistachios, cashews, almonds. Choose those which are unsalted.
- Low fat milk are high in calcium and vitamin D and can come in a variety of flavours.
- Fruit juice are rich in vitamins and minerals, find those with no added sugar.